Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thing # 14

Library 2.0 What does it me to me?
Well, I read 3 articles "Library 2.0", "Away from the Icebergs" by Rick Anderson and "Into a New World of Librarianship", by Michael Stephens. The first one was just defining the concept of Library 2.0, much like Web 2.0. There are two schools of thought about if the concept is new or have libraries always been at the breaking edge. I don't think the concept is different it's just that technology has made it seem different. So, what's that mean to me??? Just what we're doing, keeping up with technology. And luckily, I think our district is more than willing to allow us to break from the norm and try some innovative strategies for learning.


What does it mean for the school library? If you get a chance read the article
"Away From the Icebergs". The thoughts about the "collection" is something that really makes sense and yet is a little scary. But boy does it make sense. Think about how much money we as a district could save if we narrowed our in house collection and spent money on online databases and more computers.
I also like the article "Into a New World of Librarianship", it basically says we have to buy into the Library 2.0 and be Librarians 2.0...good point!

No comments: